‘Radical self-reliance’ means being responsible for yourself and the people around you.
Ice is the only thing sold at Nowhere, so you need to bring everything else with you.
Many people join a theme camp (called a barrio) to pool resources and make radical self-reliance just a little bit easier. Check out the forums to see which camps are looking for new people.
What to bring
The days are hot and the nights can be mighty chilly. Sometimes it rains, and we’ve even had thunderstorms and floods.
You need to be prepared for it all.
We STRONGLY recommend that you bring:
- about 6 litres of water per person per day, for drinking, washing, and food preparation. (less if you don't plan to wash!)
- enough food and drinks for your entire group (food needs to keep well in the heat, be easy to prepare and have no excess packaging)
- a first-aid kit
- warm clothes as it gets surprisingly cold at night
- a sturdy tent, sleeping mat and a warm sleeping bag
- extra tent pegs (tents go flying in the strong winds!)
- rubbish bags
- any prescriptions you need
- toiletries and toilet paper (biodegradable if possible)
- torches and spare batteries (headlamps are useful)
- sunscreen and sunglasses
- a hat with a wide brim
- mosquito repellent
- common sense, an open mind and a positive attitude!
Please don’t bring feather boas, glitter, glass or anything that will easily fall apart and blow away. Give those sequins and faux-fur a tug – if they don't stay put, leave them at home.
A survival guide will be sent to you a couple of weeks before the festival with more info on what you need to bring. But if you have any questions in the meantime, ask on the forums.