Role to be filled
Inclusion | Lead
The Department of Inclusion supports and represents members of the Nowhere community whose needs go beyond that of the typical participant. This includes children (under 18s), parents, disabled participants, those that are neurodiverse, and those that may have additional specific needs such as participants in recovery or on a lower income. We work to create a community inclusive environment at Nowhere and provide a safe and sober space for participants of all ages and abilities. We work to ensure that all language groups, age demographics, minorities, and those that are differently abled are considered in the planning and production of Nowhere. Our mission is to create a supportive environment rooted in respect and acknowledgement, which empowers people of all kinds to include themselves in the co-creation of Nowhere.
The Inclusion Lead heads up the Inclusion Team, coordinates the work of team members, and champions the cause of Inclusion both within NOrg and to the the participants of Nowhere. This role can potentially be done alongside a specific inclusion category Lead role if the volunteer has sufficient time to dedicate to both.
Tasks and Time Commitment
This is a year round role, and planning typically starts in earnest from January, taking maybe an hour or two a week and getting busier in the run up to July. The month before the event is usually the busiest, requiring up to three or four hours weekly depending on workload and team size, and after the event there are some wrap-up tasks before a lull until the cycle starts again. During the event you will have few duties but may wish to check in with those Team members who are working more actively onsite.
Here’s an example of some of the tasks you’ll be helping with throughout the year;
- Coordinate regular monthly meetings with Inclusion Team members and the Participant Wellness MetaLead, where required
- Update job descriptions and recruits for any Inclusion category Lead roles that are unfilled.
- Oversee any budget requests and purchasing for the Inclusion Team.
- Liaise with Ohana House Lead, Participant Wellness MetaLead, the Build Team, and the Power Team regarding physical infrastructure to be built onsite for Inclusion purposes.
- Coordinate the output of Inclusion related communications from all Inclusion Leads, such as the website, social media, Survival Guide, etc.
- Be the initial contact for participants contacting the Inclusion Team, directing participants to the appropriate Inclusion Team member, and handling inquiries and requests that do not fall under a Team member’s remit.
- Advocate for participants with inclusion needs in discussions and planning within NOrg
- This role is largely a year round role rather than onsite role, but you may wish to check in with the Inclusion Leads during event week to see if they need any support
- Ensure that all Inclusion related physical infrastructure is inventoried, labelled and packed away during strike
- Provide written feedback in the form of a Post Nowhere Report (PNR)
- Participate in a wrap up meeting with your team and/or MetaLead as appropriate
- If you intend to step down, ensure the role description is up to date
- Attend the annual All Leads Meeting (ALM) if possible
Which department does this role belong to:
- Fluent in English
- Experience of volunteering at Nowhere or a similar event
- Experience of leading and managing a team of volunteers
- Passionate about Nowhere and about Inclusion at Nowhere
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Standard IT skills: spreadsheets, Google Drive, social media, email
- Able to commit to a year round role
- Speaks another European language
- Knowledge and experience of Inclusion initiatives
- Experience of working with children or adults with Inclusion needs
- Support and guidance from your MetaLead, co-Lead, and Team members
- The warm glow of being part of the Malfare team and the wider NOrg family
- The satisfaction of knowing you are playing a big part in making Nowhere participants’ experience safer and happier and contributing to the success of Nowhere
- The opportunity to buy your ticket before the general sale next year
- Swag (team patches and other exciting things) (details TBA…)