Roles to be filled
Creativity | MetaLead
Year round And On Site
Do you love Art and love seeing Art at Burns? Could you manage teams of volunteers to help make diverse Art and Creativity happen at Nowhere?
We are in search of a new Creativity (Art & Innovations) MetaLead to join the NOrg team for 2024. The last two years have seen around 60 art pieces (each!) at Nowhere, and we want to keep this success going- maximizing the creative output of the Nowhere community.
Working year-round before and after the event, our Creativity MetaLead will be responsible for overseeing the Creativity Department (formerly named Art and Innovation), and associated projects and teams. They will be giving guidance and support throughout the year to sub-departments and artists bringing work to Nowhere. They are also responsible for making sure teams are fully staffed.
The department includes art grants teams for installations, Artomobiles, performances, and innovation projects; and the operational teams for Kunsthaus, Field of Fire, and Middle of Nowhere.
Tasks and time commitment
As this is a year-round role, the time commitment will vary depending on the needs of the event and your own responsibilities/availability. It is likely to be up to 5 hours a week most of the year, increasing to be more intense (up to 15 hours per week) from March to July. You will need to be available for a monthly MetaLeads meeting to give an update from your department, so staying in touch with your teams is a must.
You will have a handover from the current MetaLead and have a co-MetaLead that has a lot of knowledge and experience.
Although this is a year-round role, during the event you can mostly handover to the teams on site and enjoy the party!
Here are some of the tasks you will be getting involved in:
- Recruit and manage leads and co-leads for your sub-departments using your network as well as NOrg resources with aim to be fully staffed by end of March/April
- Work with the NOrg finance team to set a budget for the year – and sensibly split the budget between your teams.
- Make sure purchasing lists and budgets are finalized according to deadlines.
- Participate in monthly MetaLeads committee meetings
- Provide monthly ‘status quo’ reports to MetaLeads committee including: update on all your teams, causes of delay (if any), possible problems, requests for help, recruitment needs, department vacancies, newly created roles, and priority areas for recruitment
- Chair regular meetings with your departments to be fully up to date
- Work with the existing web team to make sure all art information on the NOrg website is up to date
- Ensure the leads in your department receive updates and information relevant to them carrying out their role including anything that may require them to make changes to their work or timelines.
- Manage Telegram groups and Drive folders for your teams and artists
- Work with R&R and the web team to update all art vacancies on the NOrg website
- Make sure all invoices and finances are correct before processing/sending to finance
- Support leads in your department to ensure they are able to carry out their roles, resolve any issues that might arise, and provide guidance and support as and when needed
- Handover to the on site teams but provide support to teams in your department
- Regularly check in with other MetaLeads and act as the point of contact for your department as and when needed
- Participate in any on site meetings relevant to your role
- Carry out any site management shifts as agreed
- Ask your teams for feedback and note any vacancies that need covering
- Provide feedback through a PNR and highlight any areas that may need review or improvement
- Participate in the annual All Leads Meeting (ALM) and any other meetings
- Create a project plan for the following Nowhere
Which department does this role belong to
- Passionate about Art
- Able to work with a variety of people/stakeholders from artists to other MetaLeads
- Flexible and adaptable to change
- Problem solver
- Strong organization skills
- Very good communication skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Fluent in English
- At least one years’ experience in a lead role at Nowhere or similar event or 2 years experience of leading/managing people in default world work.
- Experience of managing a team of volunteers
- Conflict resolution skills
- Positive attitude and resilience to stress
- Able to commit to a year round role
- Willingness to help out wherever you can
- Experience of recruiting volunteers
- Experience of working collaboratively
- Meet the Art Team at Nowhere 🙂
- Discover how the efforts of many, when correctly coordinated, create wonderful results.
- Learn firsthand how various pieces of Nowhere fit together.
- Gain project management skills.