Role to be filled
Ice Ice Baby Lead / Co-Lead
year round and on site
Come and run Nowhere’s only piece of capitalism! We try to keep money out of our event as much as possible, but, alas, rotting food is bad. Plus having drinks with ice cubes that last a whole three minutes before disintegrating is also kind of nice.
We need two superhero Ice Ice Baby Leads to work year round to organise volunteers and make sure we have plenty of ice to keep our food safe, our drinks cool and ice play workshops well stocked!
Tasks and Time commitment
This is a year-round role, with many tasks starting in March/April and the need for planning increasing as the event starts on the horizon. Our Leads will be responsible for making sure on-site demands are met and managed throughout the week, so on-site availability will also be needed!
Like most things with burns, how much you get out of the role depends on how much effort is put in, but we are keen to have two people who are enthusiastic about making a difference and making sure this key department runs smoothly.
The role is part of the Fineants team and the Leads will be expected to work with other departments such as Build, Noinfo and Rainmaker pre-event.
Here’s some of the tasks you will be getting involved in:
Pre-Event March – April
- Recruit volunteers for event time shifts via FIST
- Research and order ice freezers (min 4) according to last year’s figures
- Research cost per bag and establish sales price on site
- Coordinate with the Finance team to make an agreement with delivery company, how and when to deliver
- Agree with Build and early teams how many freezers and ice are needed pre event
- Plan the sales kiosk within NoInfo, cash handling to Rainmakers and sales reporting system for ice
- Establish Ice opening times in accordance with needs
- Communicate Ice opening times to wider community through comms – newsletters and survival guide
- Create rotation for ice sale’s volunteer crew, to manage sales of Ice onsite during the event
- Contact ice volunteers on FIST, train them in what is expected pre-event
Onsite during the event
- Manage shifts and volunteers for selling ice
- Coordinate with Rainmakers lead and Ice Ice Baby volunteers in the mornings and evenings regarding ice deliveries, sales records, possible blockers, etc
- Monitor amounts of outgoing ice and arrange ice deliveries according to agreement with the delivery company (with interpreter if necessary)
- Secure ice freezers and chests when ice sales are not open
- Liaise with Malfare regarding their ice needs for Red Cross
- Participate in any on-site meetings relevant to your role
- Participate in any all lead meetings for debriefing as required including the annual All Leads Meeting (ALM)
- Create project plan for following Nowhere
- Identify and record any issues that arose with the ice sales during previous event
- Feedback to Finance Coordinator. Update Google Drive with information
Which department does this role belong to
Finance (AKA Fineants)
- Experience of volunteering at Nowhere or a similar event
- Experience of inventorying, ordering and control
- Strong communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to recruit and manage volunteers
- Team player
- Good English, Spanish would be a bonus
- Depending on role split, reliable availability during the event (at least every other day)
- Some understanding of Nowhere operations during the event
- Shiny Shiny Schwag
- Other very exciting shiny things soon to be announced – keep an eye out!
- A chance to try something you wouldn’t normally – step out of that comfort zone & grow!
- A pre-event only role (unless you choose to help more)